Top Recommended Ashtanga Yoga Mats
Ashtanga yoga is known for its dynamic movements and physically challenging poses. To enhance your practice, it is important to use a yoga mat that is durable and supportive. In this article, we have compiled a list of the top recommended Ashtanga yoga mats that will provide comfort and stability throughout your practice.
Here are some facts about Ashtanga yoga mats and the recommended ones:
- Ashtanga yoga requires a durable yoga mat suitable for a dynamic practice.
- Recommended Ashtanga yoga mats include the Manduka Pro Yoga Mat, Manduka GRP Series, Manduka Eko Series, Eko Manduka Travel Mat, Liforme Yoga Mat, Liforme Travel Mat, Lululemon The Reversible Mat 5mm, Lululemon The Reversible (Un) Mat Lightweight Travel, Jade Harmony Mat, Jade Voyager Mat, and Mysore Rug.
- Ashtanga yoga mats should be at least 4mm thick and suitable for wear and tear.
Now, let’s dive into the details of each of these recommended yoga mats.
Manduka Pro Yoga Mat
The Manduka Pro Yoga Mat is a top choice for its thick cushioning and support. Made with high-density cushioning, this mat is built to withstand daily use and last for years. Its closed-cell surface also prevents sweat from seeping into the mat, making it easy to clean.
Manduka GRP Series
The Manduka GRP Series is perfect for Ashtanga yoga practitioners who sweat a lot. Its polyurethane top layer provides excellent slip resistance even in hot and humid conditions. This mat also has a natural rubber base for added grip and stability.
Manduka Eko Series
The Manduka Eko Series is a great eco-friendly option for Ashtanga yoga practitioners. Made with sustainably sourced tree rubber, this mat is both durable and biodegradable. Its closed-cell surface also prevents sweat and bacteria buildup.
Eko Manduka Travel Mat
For Ashtanga yoga enthusiasts who love to travel, the Eko Manduka Travel Mat is a great choice. This mat is made with the same eco-friendly materials as the Manduka Eko Series and is lightweight and easily foldable for portability.
Liforme Yoga Mat
The Liforme Yoga Mat provides excellent grip and alignment for your Ashtanga practice. Its unique AlignForMe system helps you find the right alignment in poses, while its Natural Rubber base and Liforme’s GripForMe technology provide reliable traction.
Liforme Travel Mat
The Liforme Travel Mat is a lightweight and compact version of the Liforme Yoga Mat, making it perfect for those who love to practice Ashtanga yoga on-the-go. Its foldable design and accompanying travel bag make it easy to store and transport.
Lululemon The Reversible Mat 5mm
The Lululemon The Reversible Mat 5mm provides a stable and supportive surface for your Ashtanga practice. Its extra-thick cushioning makes it comfortable for your joints, while its reversible design provides versatility in your practice.
Lululemon The Reversible (Un) Mat Lightweight Travel
The Lululemon The Reversible (Un) Mat Lightweight Travel is a great option for those who prioritize portability. Its lightweight and foldable design make it easy to bring on your travels, while its grippy surface provides stability during your practice.
Jade Harmony Mat
The Jade Harmony Mat is a natural rubber yoga mat that is perfect for those who prefer eco-friendly options. Its open-cell design provides excellent grip and cushioning, while its natural rubber construction makes it biodegradable and sustainable.
Jade Voyager Mat
The Jade Voyager Mat is a lightweight and foldable version of the Jade Harmony Mat, making it perfect for travel. Its natural rubber construction provides great grip, and its compact design makes it easy to pack and carry.
The Mysore Rug is a traditional yoga mat made with cotton or wool. Its non-slip surface provides great traction, and its natural materials make it an eco-friendly option. This mat is thin and lightweight, making it perfect for those who prefer a minimalist practice.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best Yoga Mat
Choosing the right yoga mat for your Ashtanga practice can make a significant difference in your performance and comfort level during each session. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to pick one that meets your unique needs. Therefore, we have outlined the essential factors to consider when selecting a yoga mat.
- Purpose: Different yoga practices require specific mats to support your movements. Ashtanga yoga involves dynamic movements and poses, so you need a mat that provides excellent grip and stability.
- Surface: The type of surface you will be practicing on matters. Hard surfaces like wood or tile require thicker mats, while a thin mat may suffice on carpet or grass.
- Location: If you frequently practice outdoors or travel, a lightweight and portable mat is an ideal choice.
- Dimensions: The size of the mat must match your body type and height for optimum comfort and alignment.
- Thickness: The thickness of the mat determines the level of cushioning and support for your joints. A thicker mat is best for those with sensitive knees or those who require extra support.
- Material: The material of the mat affects its grip, durability, and eco-friendliness. Common materials include PVC, natural rubber, and PER (Polymer Environmental Resin).
- Grip: The grip of the mat affects your stability during poses. Open-cell mats provide better grip and are ideal for hot yoga. Closed-cell mats are better for those who sweat less or practice non-heated yoga.
- Eco-Friendliness: Eco-friendly mats are made of materials like rubber, cotton, and jute and are a more sustainable and ethical choice.
- Alignment Markers: Some mats come with alignment markers to help you stay aware of your alignment and improve your practice.
When purchasing a yoga mat, consider the following additional factors:
- Absorbency: The mat’s absorbency affects its slip-resistant ability and how much moisture it can retain after cleaning.
- Washability: Some mats require special care when washing, while others can be machine-washed or wiped clean with soap and water.
- Biodegradability: Eco-friendly mats are also biodegradable, and they will break down naturally over time once disposed of, reducing environmental harm.
- Sticky Surface: A sticky surface is crucial for poses that require you to grip the mat with your hands or feet, providing added stability and support.
- Cushioning: Cushioning affects the level of joint support, and thicker mats provide more cushioning, while thinner mats offer more stability.
- Weight: Heavy mats are denser and provide better support, but they are less portable. Lighter mats are more portable but may not provide as much support as heavier mats.
To help you find the best yoga mat for Ashtanga, we have rated several mats based on attributes like unboxing, padding and absorbency, grip and feel, size, maintenance, and portability. Make sure to consider the factors listed above to select a mat that fits your needs, preferences, and budget, and start taking your Ashtanga practice to the next level.
Best Yoga Mats for Travel
When it comes to travel yoga mats, you’ll want to find something that is both lightweight and easy to carry. But you also don’t want to compromise on quality when it comes to your yoga practice. Here are some of the best travel yoga mats available:
- Jade Yoga Travel Mat: This is our top pick for the best travel yoga mat. It’s lightweight and easy to transport, with a sustainable design that’s perfect for eco-conscious yogis. The mat also has great traction, making it perfect for challenging poses.
- Manduka eKolite Yoga Mat: If you’re looking for an eco-friendly option, this mat from Manduka is a great choice. It’s made from sustainably harvested natural rubber and is suitable for hot yoga. The mat is lightweight and easy to carry, making it perfect for those on the go.
- Manduka eKO Superlite Travel Yoga Mat: Another eco-friendly option from Manduka, this travel mat is biodegradable and lightweight, making it perfect for hand luggage and travel.
- Suga Recycled Wetsuit Yoga Mat: This travel mat from Suga is made from recycled wetsuits, making it both eco-friendly and durable. The mat is lightweight and easy to carry, making it perfect for travel.
- Primasole Folding Yoga Mat: If you’re on a budget, this folding yoga mat from Primasole is the cheapest option at less than $20. It’s light and compact for travel, but it’s a little thin and narrow.
When it comes to choosing the right travel yoga mat, it’s important to consider what you’ll be using it for. If you’ll be practicing on uneven surfaces like sand or grass, you’ll want to choose a mat that’s a little thicker to provide more stability. However, if you’re just looking for something to use in your hotel room, a thinner option may be more suitable.
No matter what your needs are, there’s a travel yoga mat out there that’s perfect for you. By choosing one of the options listed above, you can stay committed to your yoga practice no matter where your travels may take you.
Best Eco-Friendly Yoga Mats
Yoga is no longer just an exercise, it has evolved into a way of life. To embrace this philosophy, many people are now opting for eco-friendly yoga mats that are not only healthy for the environment but also comfortable and provide a superior grip. Here are some of the best eco-friendly yoga mats available in the market.
The Manduka eKolite Yoga Mat
The Manduka eKolite Yoga Mat is the best eco-friendly option for people who want a sustainable and comfortable mat. This mat is made from sustainably harvested natural rubber and is suitable for hot yoga. The grip on this mat is remarkable, and it is also lightweight, making it perfect for carrying around.
The Manduka Pro Yoga Mat
If you’re looking for a yoga mat that lasts a lifetime, look no further than the Manduka Pro Yoga Mat. This is the heaviest option available, but it is specifically designed to withstand intense use over time. Like the eKolite, it is also made from natural rubber, making it a sustainable choice.
The Yogamatters Eco Rise Yoga Mat
Another great option is the Yogamatters Eco Rise Yoga Mat. This mat is affordable, sustainable, and provides exceptional grip with its superior design. It has a non-slip surface, which is perfect for intense yoga sessions.
The Sweaty Betty Super Grip Yoga Mat
The Sweaty Betty Super Grip Yoga Mat combines excellent sustainability with superior grip. This mat is biodegradable and eco-friendly, ensuring its minimal impact on the environment. Its matte surface provides a perfect grip for all types of yoga sessions.
The Ecoyoga Mat
The Ecoyoga Mat is a fantastic eco-friendly option that provides natural texture and slip-resistant properties. Made from natural rubber, the mat is biodegradable and provides excellent grip, making it perfect for various yoga practices.
The Liforme Yoga Mat
For hot and humid weather, the Liforme yoga mats are the perfect choice. They are extremely absorbent yet grippy, which means you won’t slip during intense yoga sessions. These mats come with an extra grip system to ensure that you have all the right support you need.
Materials Used for Yoga Mats
The most common materials used for yoga mats are rubber, cork, and polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Rubber is a sustainable option that provides excellent grip and comfort, while cork is a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal material that is also eco-friendly. PVC is the smoothest material, providing a cushioned texture for yoga practice.
SugaMat Recycled Wetsuit Yoga Mat
The SugaMat Recycled Wetsuit Yoga Mat is made entirely from recycled wetsuits, making it an environmentally-friendly option. This mat provides ample grip, can withstand hard use, and is easy to keep clean.
Best Overall Yoga Mats
Choosing the perfect yoga mat is essential for yogis who practice Ashtanga yoga. An ideal yoga mat will provide the right amount of cushioning, grip and support to help them maneuver through the challenging postures with ease.
After thorough research and testing, the following five yoga mats were named the best overall yoga mats for Ashtanga yoga:
|Manduka PROLite Yoga Mat||– Grip|
|Liforme Yoga Mat||– Alignment markers|
– Superior grip
– Quick-drying surface
|Lululemon’s The Reversible Mat 5mm||– Stickiness|
|Manduka Pro Yoga Mat||– Heaviness|
– Lifetime longevity
– High-quality materials
|Liforme Original Yoga Mat||– Cushioning|
While each of the above mats have their unique benefits, the Manduka PROLite Yoga Mat was named the best overall yoga mat for Ashtanga yoga. Its grippy surface provides a stable base for any posture, while its high-quality materials ensure durability for daily use. The Liforme Yoga Mat received the highest rating, noted for its unique alignment markers that ensure proper alignment, superior grip, and quick-drying surface.
For yogis who prefer a slightly heavier mat, the Manduka Pro Yoga Mat is an excellent choice, as it is built to last a lifetime. While it is the heaviest among the five recommendations, its quality is unquestionable. The Reversible Mat 5mm by Lululemon was named the best overall yoga mat based on professional testing, ensuring the perfect balance of stickiness, weight, and thickness.
For yogis who value cushioning and balance, the Liforme Original Yoga Mat is an excellent choice. Its cushioning protects joints, while its balance provides stability and support. With its superior cushioning, nonslip surface and high-quality materials, the Liforme Original Yoga Mat is the best overall choice for Ashtanga yoga practitioners.
When it comes to yoga mats, it’s essential to choose the one that best fits your individual needs. While these five mats are highly recommended for Ashtanga yoga, it’s essential to consider your unique requirements when selecting a yoga mat.
Best Yoga Mats for Alignment
Ashtanga Yoga is a dynamic and physically demanding practice that requires proper alignment to prevent injuries and maximize the benefits of each posture. A high-quality yoga mat is essential for maintaining stability and balance throughout the practice. Here are some of the best yoga mats for alignment, as recommended by experts:
- Alo Yoga Warrior Mat: This top-rated yoga mat is favored by Ashtanga practitioners for its exceptional grip, even during challenging arm balances and inversions. The mat’s natural rubber base and moisture-wicking microfiber top layer provide optimal traction and prevent slipping, making it a great choice for sweaty and intense practices.
- Liforme Yoga Mat: Known as the “Rolls Royce” of yoga mats, the Liforme Yoga Mat is designed with a patented AlignForMe system that helps you maintain proper alignment in every pose. The mat’s etched lines and symbols guide your hands, feet, and body to ensure optimal alignment and balance. Made with eco-friendly materials, this durable and long-lasting mat is perfect for serious Ashtanga practitioners.
- Liforme Mindful Garden Yoga Mat: Another excellent option from Liforme, this beautiful and colorful yoga mat features the same AlignForMe system as the original Liforme mat, with added design elements inspired by nature. The mat’s unique surface texture helps prevent slipping, while its cushioned support provides comfort during long practices.
- Yogi Bare Paws Extreme Grip Yoga Exercise Mat: This high-performance yoga mat is designed specifically for high-intensity and hot yoga practices. The mat’s resilient microfiber top layer provides superior grip, while the sustainable natural rubber base offers stability and cushioning. The mat’s guiding lines help you align your body and maintain proper posture throughout the practice.
With these top yoga mats for alignment, you can practice Ashtanga Yoga with confidence and precision. Choose the one that suits your needs and preferences, and enjoy the many benefits of a safe and effective yoga practice.
Best Yoga Mats for Sustainability
Yoga is a sustainable practice that encourages mindfulness and a connection with the environment, so it is essential to use a yoga mat that aligns with these values. Here are some of the best yoga mats for sustainability:
|Manduka eKolite Yoga Mat||Made from sustainably harvested natural rubber, suitable for hot yoga|
|Manduka Pro Yoga Mat||Heaviest but designed to last a lifetime|
|Yogamatters Eco Rise Yoga Mat||Affordable sustainable design with a non-slip surface and superior grip|
|Sweaty Betty Super Grip Yoga Mat||Biodegradable, eco-friendly design with excellent grip for all types of yoga|
|Ecoyoga mat||Eco-friendly option with natural texture and non-slip properties|
|SugaMat Recycled Wetsuit Yoga Mat||Made entirely of recycled wetsuits, a recognized sustainable option|
|Liforme yoga mats||Absorbent, yet grippy perfect for hot and humid weather|
- Manduka eKolite Yoga Mat: This yoga mat is made from sustainably harvested natural rubber, which makes it an eco-friendly option. This mat is perfect for hot yoga as it can withstand intense heat and provides a non-slip surface for extra grip.
- Manduka Pro Yoga Mat: The Manduka Pro Yoga Mat is the heaviest but designed to last a lifetime, making it an excellent sustainable option. The natural rubber material ensures durability and a non-slip surface, making it ideal for all types of yoga.
- Yogamatters Eco Rise Yoga Mat: This eco-friendly yoga mat is made from sustainable materials and features a non-slip surface for superior grip. The affordable price tag makes it an excellent option for beginners or seasoned yogis on a budget.
- Sweaty Betty Super Grip Yoga Mat: This eco-friendly yoga mat boasts a biodegradable design and excellent grip for all types of yoga. The natural rubber material ensures durability and a non-slip surface, making it ideal for hot yoga.
- Ecoyoga mat: This yoga mat is a good eco-friendly option that features natural texture, providing a non-slip surface for extra grip. The biodegradable material makes it an environmentally conscious choice.
- SugaMat Recycled Wetsuit Yoga Mat: This yoga mat is a great sustainable option as it is made entirely of recycled wetsuits. The unique material provides a non-slip surface, making it ideal for all types of yoga.
- Liforme yoga mats: These yoga mats are absorbent, yet grippy, making them perfect for hot and humid weather. The material and design are eco-friendly, ensuring that sustainability is at the forefront of the product.
When it comes to sustainability, it is essential to look for yoga mats made from eco-friendly materials and that are designed to last. Investing in a high-quality yoga mat not only benefits the environment but also promotes longevity in your practice.
Other Unique Yoga Mat Options
When it comes to yoga, the mat you use is just as important as the poses you practice. In addition to the best yoga mat for Ashtanga, there are many other unique yoga mat options to consider.
Cork yoga mats have become increasingly popular due to their natural and eco-friendly properties. The B Yoga Natural Non-Slip Cork mat has been recommended as the best cork yoga mat, with its soft feel and excellent grip even when wet.
If you have a latex allergy, or prefer to use latex-free products, the Halfmoon Yoga Essential Studio Yoga Mat and Yoga Design Lab The Combo Mat are great options.
For those who love to travel, the JadeYoga Voyager is the best travel yoga mat. It folds compactly, making it easy to pack, and provides excellent traction for your practice.
The Stakt Yoga Mat is a unique 2-in-1 mat that doubles as a block for additional support.
If you’re pregnant or just looking for some extra cushioning, the Bump Mat by Tara Lee is ideal. Alternatively, the Yogabellies mat is perfect for mother and baby yoga.
For those specifically looking for a mat for meditation purposes, the Yogi Bare Acupressure Mat and Walden Lying Meditation Set are recommended.
If you’re someone who appreciates luxury and style, the Miu Miu Yoga Mat and Jil Sander Yoga Mat are ultra-luxe options with stylish designs.
For those practicing yoga on carpeted surfaces, a natural cotton yoga rug provides extra cushioning and better traction. Similarly, if you’re practicing in a warmer room and sweating more, a cotton yoga rug can increase traction and strength in poses. Yoga rugs are great for both home and studio practice and are easy to carry and travel with.
Two machine-washable options include the WearMyYoga Wool Yoga Mat and Brentwood Home Organic Non-Slip Yoga Mat.
The Gaiam Performance Dry-Grip Yoga Mat is a good option for those with a latex allergy or who dislike the strong smell of rubber.
The JadeYoga Harmony Mat is made of 100% rubber and is relatively thin but still provides a spongy-yet-supportive feel. This mat is well-known and favoured by teachers for its grip, eco-credentials, and range of options.
The Lululemon mat is another popular option, known for its different textures on either side and placement cues for alignment. The Lululemon Reversible 5mm Yoga Mat is the best reversible yoga mat, with superior grip and thickness for extra support. The Lululemon Reversible 5mm Yoga Mat offers great grip, resilience, and design for $88/£68, but can be heavy and may contain latex.
It’s important to remember that not all yoga mats are designed the same. There are mats tailored for particular practices, like the Gaiam 2-Color Yoga Mat and YoYo Malibu Self-Rolling Yoga & Fitness Mat, which offer timeless durability. Thinner mats give more ground contact, while thicker ones tend to be more supportive, making them better for those with sensitivities in their joints or back.
Regular cleaning is important for keeping a yoga mat germ-free and odor-free. Cotton yoga rugs are easy to maintain and can be washed in a washing machine.
If you’re still undecided on which mat to choose, Verywell Mind and Fit and Well have tested and evaluated multiple yoga mats from popular brands such as Lululemon, Manduka, Gaiam, and Alo Yoga. Their testers included a certified yoga instructor, certified personal trainer, certified barre instructor, and several seasoned yogis of varying heights.
And if you’re interested in purchasing a Liforme yoga mat, travel yoga mat, or yoga pad, use the referral code LL-KSWNV811 to receive 10% off your purchase.